Developing a Shared Technology Vision to Address Digital Inequity




1. Best Practices from Crompton (2023) and ISTE Educator Standards

Crompton (2023) highlights that professional development and the use of research-based practices improve student learning outcomes. Even though I am not a teacher, I see how supporting educators through training and providing access to innovative tools can directly impact students’ success. ISTE Educator Standards, such as 2.1.a (Set Professional Goals) and 2.2.c (Model Digital Tool Use), guide me in helping educators explore new strategies, evaluate tools, and reflect on their effectiveness.

From my needs assessment, I learned that while most students have access to devices and internet at home, many parents feel uncertain about how to support learning with technology. Using these best practices, I can develop a Technology Vision that supports educators with professional learning and provides resources for parents, such as workshops, guides, and online tutorials, ensuring that all students benefit from technology regardless of home support.

2. Challenges in 1:1 Initiatives and Guidance from ISTE Education Leader Standards

Gonzales (2019) identifies challenges in 1:1 initiatives, including funding for device replacement, updating software, and ensuring consistent technology use across classrooms. In my role, I can address these challenges in the Technology Vision by coordinating sustainable funding, advocating for flexible resource allocation, and supporting schools and families with strategies to maximize technology use. For example, partnering with libraries to offer parent workshops and providing devices or hotspots to families without reliable access ensures equity.

ISTE Education Leader Standards, especially Visionary Planner and Systems Designer, provide guidance for my work. As a Visionary Planner, I collaborate with stakeholders to create a shared, strategic plan for technology access. As a Systems Designer, I ensure resources are managed to support sustainable and equitable use. These standards help me plan for long-term success while fostering engagement among educators, families, and community partners.

3. Employing ISTE Standards and Essential Conditions to Address Digital Inequity

I plan to use ISTE Standards for Students, Educators, and Education Leaders to create a Technology Vision that addresses inequities. For example, standards like 2.3.a (Create Positive Experiences), 2.3.c (Model Safe, Legal, Ethical Practices), and 2.6.d (Model and Nurture Creativity) help me ensure that students engage with technology meaningfully, safely, and creatively. I also engage families and community mentors to extend learning beyond the classroom.

The ISTE Essential Conditions, such as equitable access, sustained professional learning, and community partnerships, support this vision. Offering parent workshops, online tutorials, and device access where needed ensures that all students can participate fully in digital learning. By collaborating with families, educators, and library leaders, I can create an inclusive and actionable plan that directly addresses the local digital divide.

Conclusion

Bridging the digital divide in my community requires more than giving students devices; it means supporting families, educators, and community partners in using technology intentionally. By leveraging the ISTE Standards and Essential Conditions, I can coordinate programs that increase parental confidence, support educators, and ensure equitable access for all students. Thoughtful planning, collaborative leadership, and sustainable strategies help transform technology access into meaningful learning outcomes for every child (Crompton, 2023; Gonzales, 2019; ISTE, 2018).

References

Crompton, H. (2023). Evidence of the ISTE standards for educators leading to learning gains. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 39(4), 201–219. https://doi.org/10.1080/21532974.2023.2244089

Gonzales, M. M. (2020). School Technology Leadership Vision and challenges. International Journal of Educational Management, 34(4), 697–708. https://doi.org/10.1108/ijem-02-2019-0075

Standards. ISTE. (n.d.). https://iste.org/standards


Comments

  1. Hi Lauren, I hope you had a great Easter! I can definitely see why we were paired together because we are thinking along the same lines. I agree that students are the focus, but teachers and parents are really the ones who will drive the change. That stood out to me, since access isn't our issue, nor are 1:1 Chromebooks. It is more about how students are using the technology and what they are actually gaining from it, which is something I have been seeing in my own context .

    I also liked your focus on long-term planning because that is something I am trying to be intentional about. I feel like my overall plan naturally follows Kotter’s model since it focuses on building a vision, involving stakeholders, and creating sustainable change. At the same time, I am leaning toward using the Triple E Framework with teachers because it gives them a simple way to check if technology is actually enhancing learning.

    I think using both together makes sense: Kotter for guiding the bigger change and Triple E for what teachers do daily in the classroom. I would love to hear which direction you are leanin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How People Learn II Week 3

Bridging Digital Gaps in Early Learning: Lessons from Research/ WK 2

Applying the TDC Framework to Parent Workshops