Introduction WK 1
Hello! My name is Lauren Thomas, and I have 13 years of teaching experience, primarily in early childhood education within the Early Head Start program. In the final two years of my classroom career, I taught second and third grade in public school, with second grade holding a special place in my heart. My goal is to become an expert in my field, not just for myself, but also to help new teachers love what they do and stay in the field. My first year of teaching was very stressful. My second year, I said, "Oh goodness, I wish I knew this last year.
I am currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Education, specializing in Curriculum and Instruction: Technology, as a full-time student. My long-term goal is to transition into the field of instructional design, where I can combine my classroom experience and passion for technology to create meaningful learning experiences for educators and students alike.
I have chosen ISTE, Empowered Learner indicator 1c: students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways. Students in 2nd-grade Reading could address standard 2.3.R.1. Students will determine the author's purpose (i.e., tell a story, provide information). I can give short texts on Seesaw, pair students up, and let them choose which short stories interest them. They can read them together and then decide as a group. Students can use Seesaw to show their thinking. They can reflect on their learning by recording their voice or drawing a picture to best explain what they understand. They can also use the audio to explain their favorite type of book to read: Persuade, Inform, or Entertain.
I think my lesson activity aligns with Kolb's Triple E Framework because students are working together to choose a short text that interest them. Seesaw allows them to create visuals, record their voice and draw pictures and reflect on their thinking. They can share their work and thinking with teacher, and peers. I will provide feedback and so will their peers. I agree with framework and I wish I would have had it in my first year of teaching. I started the modeling I do, we do, you do my second year of teaching.
References
Images

Hi Lauren, I love the same ISTE, which is Empowered learner, that involves using technology and demonstrate their learning, I like that you can use feedback in this indicator, which will help teachers and students understand better where the student is, or where the student need more help.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sarah. I absolutely agree.
DeleteHey Lauren, welcome to class. I am excited to learn alongside you during this course. Sounds like you and I are on a similar path. Finally excited to see another EC person. I am in my 9th year and have done 3rd, but Kinder holds my heart. I, too, am doing C&I with a focus on Ed Tech. I wish you luck with your master's program. Your instructional lesson is straightforward and clear when aiming to meet both the ISTE standard and the OAS. Seesaw is wonderful, isn't it! I even learned of another tool this summer during a PLC conference that would work great for your lesson. It is called Diffit, it is an AI tool where you can use the same story, but it can be tailored to meet the individual reading levels of students. This would be great for your lesson to differentiate for your groups and still meet the same standards. Awesome response and great work justifying it with Kolb's Triple E Framework makes total sense, how this lesson keeps students engaged and enhances their learning with technology. Best wishes with this course and your future endeavors. I will keep an eye out for future blogs from a fellow EC & Tech lover.
ReplyDeleteHi Emilie thank you for such thoughtful comment. I actually went to your blog and there was not a place for me to comment. I want to say I enjoyed reading your blog. I love how creative and fun yours look. I would definitely would like to work with you in the future on a class project. You seem very advanced with technology because your blog was very eye catching.
DeleteHi, Lauren. I love how the activity uses the technology to allow the students to really dive into the learning process. I also like how they are able to use the technology to communicate ideas to other student and teachers.
ReplyDeleteHi Seth, thank you.
DeleteHi Lauren, 2nd grade holds a special place in my heart too! Author's purpose is one of those tricky standards, but I like how you allow them to show their understanding on whichever stories they chose. Having a partner can really add to their confidence in their ability to explore something new or tricky with a friend who can support and encourage them and ultimately empower them to be stronger learners. The power of the gradual release of responsibility is beautiful and I wish I did more of it my first year too.
ReplyDeleteHi Jenna, you are so right definitely tricky but I did it. Thank you for the comment.
Delete